The Church of St. Mary’s Call
The Church of St. Mary Call
The Church of St. Mary Call in the village Ponikve on the Šentviška planota, the origin of which could be traced to the Middle Ages, was burnt down during the Second World War and nearly completely destroyed. When local people wanted to rebuild it after the end of the war, they encountered numerous obstacles. However, due to the persistent endeavour of the then parish priest Janez Lapanja, who requested the acknowledged architect Plečnik to make the architectural plans, they started to renovate the building in 1954. The main works, which the inhabitants of the village performed themselves mostly as volunteers, were accomplished in 1958, the former baroque church was completely changed during those years. Namely, Plečnik moved the entrance from bellow the church tower to the place of the former presbytery, he also changed the position of the ridge and the interior got a special exciting appearance, which was diverse and idiosyncratic. Despite the fact that professionals do not consider the Church of St. Mary’s Call in Ponikve among the Plečnik's most important works, it is nevertheless worthwhile visiting it. Visitors never remain indifferent, namely there is a beautiful view on numerous hills above the valleys of Soča, Idrijca and Bača from the place where it stands.
Text: Karla Kofol, Tolmin Museum