Mojstrana is a clustered settlement at an altitude of 661 m in the municipality of Kranjska Gora in Zgornja savinjska dolina (The Upper Sava Valley). The settlement is located below the road Jesenice - Kranjska Gora, on a gravel peak at the confluence of the Sava Dolinka River and the Triglavska Bistrica stream. Along the Triglavska Bistrica stream, the Dolina Vrata (Vrata glacial valley) opens to the southwest into the Triglavski narodni park (Triglav National Park). The settlements include the hamlets of Šraj, Ros and Peričnik.
In the settlement, the road branches off to the south over Kosmačev preval (847 m) between the Mežaklo plateau (1593 m) and the Triglav mountain range into the Zgornja Radovna valley, and from there into the Krma and Kot glacial valleys.
The development of the settlement is connected with the ironworks and deposits of iron ore in the vicinity, as well as with the cement plant, which collapsed after the First World War. Today, the inhabitants are engaged in animal husbandry, associated with summer mountain pastures, and work in the domestic metal, wood and textile industries and in Jesenice. There is a small hydroelectric power plant nearby. Tourism is important, here is the central starting point for ascents to the Julijske Alpe (Julian Alps) and the Karavanke (Karawanken), next to the village is a ski resort with a ski lift.
Worth seeing are the church of St. Klemen from the 17th century, Triglav Museum Collection, giant village walnut with a circumference of 470 cm, Triglavski gaj park, Šmerc House, Ambrožčeva House, high waterfalls Spodnji and Zgornji Peričnik in the Vrata Valley, remains of an aqueduct behind the former cement plant, Aljažev dom and a monument to fallen partisans mountaineers in the Vrata valley, the northern wall of Triglav, the Green Snow glacier and the Triglav abyss next to it.
Slovenski planinski muzej (The Slovenian Mountaineering Museum) was opened in 2010. It shows the development arc of Slovenian mountaineering, mountaineering, alpinism and mountain rescue history, intertwined with nature conservation and educational content. The diversity of photographic, film, book and archival material and the extensive professional library offer the visitor an insight into the multitude and importance of mountaineering activities in Slovenia.
Trg olimpijcev (The Olympic Square) is dedicated to the Olympians from Mojstrana and the surrounding area. It lies in the center of the village, next to the school and the shop. The square was built in 2016 and represents a social center, as it hosts many events, e.g. arrival of parking lots and New Year's Eve.
Mihael Ambrožič, a beekeeper, was born on September 6, 1846 in Mruščeva hiša. He was the first, besides Baron Emil Rotschütz, to spread the Carniolan bee (lavender) around the world. He founded a fruit society. The economic part of the house is connected to the residential part by a bridge. On the house are the names of the places where the beekeeper Ambrožič traded and received international recognition for his work.
Šmercova hiša (Šmerc's house) from 1778, stands by the road leading to Mojstrana. The beautifully decorated façade immediately catches the visitor's eye. The fresco of Višarska Marija marked an inn with accommodation for pilgrims on the way to Sv. Višarje. In the second half of the 19th century, the homestead was taken over by Jurij Skumavec Šmerc. The inn was also visited by the writer Julius Kugy and the German poet Rudolf Baumbach, who is said to have written the famous Tale of the Golden Horn here.
Požgančev most (The Požkanč Bridge) over the Sava Dolinka connects the villages of Dovje and Mojstrana. There is a legend associated with him and the seven cats standing furiously on his fence. He talks about how Lakot's Jako was supposed to be punished for not crossing himself at Požganec's sign.
Before the railway connection Jesenice - Rateče was closed in 1966, tourists could also come to Mojstrana by train. The route led past the Triglavski Gaj park along the Sava Dolinka river. The village children transported luggage to the desired address for small change. The blue footbridge, which is still in use today, is the path that children and tourists walked from the station.
There used to be a ski jump on Bor. This ski jump was the first competition in ski jumping in 1927. Unfortunately, the ski jump failed after the Second World War. Here is a promenade for locals and visitors.
Above the village in the wall of Grančišče there are two secured climbing routes (FERATA) of different levels of difficulty. The first - the easier one is called Aljaž’s path, the second - the harder one is the Way of the Master Squirrels’c. Both paths take you to the top of Grančišče, where you will find a beautiful view of the nearby mountains and surroundings.